My Oscar Column... why note? at least I'm not talking about Anna Nicole nor Britney!


I might have mentioned before there are certain things that fascinate me, some of them are interests I have created during the years and others when I look back started in some way from a family tradition, otherwise how would you explain how people so different as my mother, my sister and myself will probably be doing the same thing tonight from different points of this world? Yes, we will be watching the Oscars… of course our reactions will all be different but we will all have the best intentions of sitting in front of our TVs and as I've heard this week, the Oscars are the SuperBowl for women...

I have no idea why I like this so much, but I don’t have any idea either why I like football so much (aka US soccer) why I could stay up to watch the Australian Open, why in Venezuela we never missed a Miss Venezuela, Miss Universe or Miss World event and why if I happen to see that the Kentucky Derby will be on, I record it… I know! I’m weird. Although the weirdest thing I’ve ever done so far, that I can think off would be to go to a SciFi convention… taking away the fact that it was fun to meet some people that I was looking forward to and I’m not talking about the actors, I will never forget when I walked in to get my registration and I had from a Klingon to a guy dresses as Superman walk besides me in the room… I confess that I freaked out and wonder what the hell was I doing there… but I guess those are the things that I turn back in my life and look at and just smile. I’m not the most daring person in the world… but I’ve done my things.

So, back to the theme of today’s blog… I LOVE THE OSCARs and the Golden Globes and the Emmys, etc, etc, etc…. why? I have no idea… I think it’s the suspense of who is going to win… although I won’t lie that I don’t think there will be many surprises this year… Yes, I like the dresses… and I like it more when I don’t like them… but most of all, I like a good acceptance speech…. I’m a cry baby for anything that moves me… and I love the underdog stories… so to have somebody like Jennifer Hudson come from not having a career and suddenly being the it girl and winning the Oscar… and of course you add that to having a OMG, I can’t believe it… tears, tears… thank you, thank you… speach.... for me that is great TV, Cuba Gooding Jr wining his Oscar, Haley Berry, Shakespeare in Love surprising for best movie… and even Nicole Kidman with all the fame that she has… you could see how important that moment was and I love the Oscar moments that I've had in my life… they are soooo good, so to be able to see other’s have them too, is nice and sweet and reminds me that good things happen to a lot of people…

So, before the show tonight, that I will prepare myself to watch… here are my thoughts... if you are interested.

Actress in a Supporting Role:

I would love for Jennifer Hudson to win, do I think she is a great actress? No, but she did give one of the best performances that I’ve seen in my life… so you deserves it… if she doesn’t win, then the people that vote are very snobs… but so far she has won everything… so I really hope she does, and not only that, but that she proves after that she was worth of it… btw, if she doesn’t win, then it would be a bad Oscar for me and well, you never know, anything can happen at the Oscars.

Actor in a Supporting Role:

I watched The Departed and besides thinking that is a good movie, I didn’t think it was a great story… I also don’t understand Mark Wahlberg’s nomination…. Neither do I understand Alan Arkin’s I guess it’s because he was just there for minutes… I didn’t watch the other movies… but Eddie Murphy is a great actor, I hate that because they are comedians they don’t win or they don’t have the respect they should… I hate Jim Carrey in his comedic roles, I can’t stand his faces… but I think he has had some great performances… but well, I will not get into controversy… I mean, I do want to be invited to the Oscars at some point :p so I would love for Eddie Murphy to win, but once again, I don’t know… anything can happen at the Oscars.

Actress in a Leading Role:

I thought Helen Mirren was great as Queen Elizabeth, Penelope Cruz in Volver was not surprising for me… it was good and I loved the Movie, but not for an Oscar. I like Kate Winslet and she so deserves an Oscar… she is still young; I don’t know how old and she has already 5 nominations!!!! But my favorite is Meryl Streep, I mean, that was a cool performance, when I first heard that she would be the character I was no way… she is so not a super chic mean magazine editor… and look at what she did… but it seems that all odds are for Helen Mirren, but I would still love Meryl Streep to win, but if there is somebody that could take the Oscar away from Mirren, it could be Kate Winslet and you never know, anything can happen at the Oscars.
Actor in a Leading Role:

I haven’t watched any of the performances and it seems that Forest Whitaker is going to win… but I have, of course, read about it and it seems that the most deserving performance is for Ryan Gosling, and why not…? he can pull an Adrien Brody when he won for the pianist and yes! Anything can happen at the Oscars.


Director:

Please, stop giving prices to Clint Eastwood and give a price to Martin Scorsese, again, do I think he deserves it for THIS picture? No, but I would like to people stop talking about how he never wins… there are other movies that I thought were better… I still remember Goodfellows, although I’m almost sure I was too young to watch that movie… Ma!!!! Why did you let me? (Yes, I always have to talk about you :p) I would love Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to win, I don’t know why… I think because I find the movie appealing to me… but what does a great director do? I don’t know, I always thought that it was about directing great movies of the epic kind… great shots a la opening scene in Citizen Kane, but was this the director or somebody else? or should it be somebody like Almodover that brings the best out of an actor? I have no idea who deserves to win and now that I think about it, no idea what a good director does! To keep the movie rolling and on budget? Everybody doing what they are supposed to do? I mean, that’s what I do, kinda… and I’m a Director in my company… so…. Except for the fact that I think all the movies that Clint Eastwood has made are for me boring and that Martin Scorsese is a bridesmaid never a bride… give it to him… and if it’s for my underdog story… then Alejandro, but again, anything can happen at the Oscars and maybe Marty will finally have his shot.

Best Movie:

Now this is surprising that nobody is willing to bet who will win, because Dreamgirls was not nominated and I agree… if the Oscars vote like they have always done, I wouldn’t be surprised if Letters from Iwo Jima ends up winning, they do love Clint Eastwood, I really, really, really don’t think that it would be The Queen, I mean I don’t even understand why is it nominated, it seems that things are pointed to The Departed, but I don’t think it was a WOW movie… I mean good story, nice twist, but Oscar Movie? Don’t think so… My bet is for Little Miss Sunshine or Babel, Babel will be the Crash of last year, great ensemble and good story…. But the difference is that Crash had a story to tell everybody and everybody questioned themselves, Babel is a story too about bad thing happening to good people and we feel that is so far away from us… of course until you have to go and work in Nigeria or inside Colombia or Venezuela where you suddenly loose your rights… or those that you have feel that you have because you are lucky to come from a country where they are respected… so that leaves Miss Sunshine and although I’m surprised that it has made it to the Oscars it has touched people and I think at the end that counts… so who is my pick? Again… I have no idea and here definitely anything can happen at the Oscars!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fascination, Obssesion, Love all the same stuff... ja ja ja!!

Well Carol this time you hit only 2, but I have to say to all the people who read your blog, that my girl always has been very accertive in that matter....

........and Carol another thing Kristy and you or You and Kristy?

Kisses XXXX
Cmdr Vimes said…
To Caroleeeeeena's mum: as a married father of six children, I love your daughter in the truest sense. She is kind, considerate, open, willing to talk (oh boy), even more willing to listen, and she has made my family's life more tolerable by being a great friend to my wife. You did a great job of raising a wonderful daughter, and you deserve to be recognised for that.

Caro: Oscars? Try Vimesey's, much more fun. Kristy?
Anonymous said…
Do you mind if I talk about Anna Nicole? lol!

Just for a change, I didn't know what the nominations were, never mind if I had ever seen or heard of any of the movies! So your post was pretty much blah blah blah :p Sorry!

But Caro's Mum - I agree with you! She certainly knows how to speak her mind :p As for obssessions, there's waaaay to many to count! ROFL!!! But Caro's very kind, she shares them with her friends :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Me Roll...

Taking out the trash....

Finding Freedom