Random Thoughts...


OK, I know I should update more often and you see, sometimes I’m sitting at my office and something comes up or something comes to my mind and I’m like… Oh! I’m going to talk about that in my blog, but… I have a very strange selective memory, I mean, I can remember that 10 months ago, somebody in a meeting said, bla, bla, bla… but if I think of something now, I don’t remember it, it’s gone in 5 sec… people’s name, something that somebody tells me not relevant for me and of course, calling my Mum… so our conversations normally go like this…

Caro: Hola, como estas?
Ma: Finally?
Caro: But I just called you two days ago.
Ma: Yes, two days ago a week ago!
Caro: Ooops, really?

Time flies!!! I mean, we are basically in April and I feel that new years was two or three weeks ago!

So I will start this post, without thinking where I’m going or any coherence at all, we don’t need it…

Have I mentioned that I love my car? Well, it’s not exactly the car of my dreams… and if you are wondering, I have three cars of my dreams… A Range Rover, love it! A Jaguar and a convertible Beatle… I know everybody was expecting me to say a Porsche or something like that but no, my tastes are not that outrageous… and btw, between Porsche and Ferrari, I am a Porsche girl, that is until somebody that I know and that I don’t like to much got one and now it’s so not that appealing to me… actually…. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww Oh and why do I love my car, because I hate, hate, hate shoveling, hate… it… hate… don’t like…. hate… just in case I need to repeat it again… HATE SHOVELING!!! so if I had to pick one it would be the Range Rover, living where I live today.

When I first came to the US and had to buy a car, I had my European mindset a wanted a small, car, well, not that European, there is small European and small American and I wanted something in the middle… So I bought a Ford Focus, I loved my car, but it was pretty, pretty, small and guess what? When it snowed, even half of an inch, I had to shovel, because my little tires couldn’t get over a bump of snow and believe me, if you are ever in a position where you think, here I am, an independent smart modern women, forget it… when it comes to snow and these things, you only have two options… get a man or buy an SUV and voila! I went one day to get an oil change on my focus and while I was waiting, Oooops…. I bought a Ford Escape, you know me and shopping and well, since then I am so happy when a day like today, it’s cold, freezing, there are inches of snow, my car is stuck or in this case, better say my truck and I just drove over it, oh it feels so good!!!!

On another note, my favorite TV show ended this week after 10 years, I remember the first time I watched, I was living in Spain and let me tell you TV in Spain is the worst ever… honestly and I’ve always loved TV, I like to have fun with my shows, please, I come from the land of the Soap Operas where you had them at noon as soon as you came back from school and at night, it was primetime tv… when we finally had access to cable in Venezuela a new world opened, OMG, I loved it, my Mum, Sis, Bro and myself would sit around the TV to watch, when I moved to Spain, all that was gone, no more American TV shows… sniff but one day zapping on a Saturday night thru the channels I came up with this TV show and I saw The Stargate, I remember watching the movie, it wasn’t good, it wasn’t bad, but it did entertain me so I decided to stop and watch, not only that but the cutie guy from MacGyver was there… older, wiser and better, as we say in Venezuela, just like the Doctor recommended… I got hooked, finally there was a decent TV show to watch, I loved it, it was good, funny, had great stories, action, amazing characters, it was just great and I was missing that so much…

I moved to Mexico and was sad that I was going to miss the show and what was my surprise when I got cable, the show was on and there were episodes that I hadn’t watched… great! I even went to Venezuela for a Xmas vacation and I remember there was a marathon, 24hrs of Stargate… it was great, I could catch up with whatever I missed, I made my Mum watch with me, I’m not sure if she liked it or not, but she was there… I got so into the show that I would look on the Internet to find stories about the episodes, future stories, old stories that I had missed, I loved it and when I was transferred to the US, my first thought was, Woooohooooo I get to see it live!

And so time passed, I would run to my house to not miss it, I mean, with my tiny memory for something’s I would always forget to set up the VCR, yep, no Tivo then… what would our life be without Tivo and cel phones and… OK, I’ll hold that for another post. So I had to run to get home by 8pm every Friday, it was better than going out and years passed…. As a romantic that I am, I could see some things going on between the two main characters, of course a male and a female… although I after learned all sort of things that happen on the internet, being one of them people matching up, the two guys together, yes, better not go there.

One day, I watched an episode were it seemed that they were finally getting together, a la Ross and Rachel, Buffy and Angel, The Nanny and Mr. Sheffield! I jumped out of my couch, I couldn’t believe it, Wooohoooo, isn’t’ that always the best part of a show, when the two characters finally get together, I mean, of course, if you are a romantic like myself and I HAD to go on the Internet to see what would happen next… my life as a fan would change forever; I discovered a world that did not exist for me… Internet Fandom….

As I was mentioning, I found this website, it was the best that I had seen and not only that, but they had a forum, I had never been on a forum and in this forum one of the Executive Producers was answering questions from the fans, which of course for me meant that it was THE site to be, I mean I love behind the scenes and this was like sitting down with J.K Rowling and ask her all the question that you could about Harry Potter and actually getting answers… I couldn’t resist myself and signed up to ask a question, I don’t remember what question it was but I got this message from somebody saying if you like Sam and Jack, come over to the Ship thread… I read “The Ship Thread” and I was wondering what is a thread… and why do they want me to come to talk about a ship… is it the Space Ship of the Sam and Jack romantic group? Why would they name a Ship Jack and Sam? It was many weeks before I came up with and FAQ that explained that Ship, was what people called a romantic relationship between two characters… get it… re-la-tion-SHIP I felt dumb… but I was a newbie, so I started reading and one day decided to post, I received so many answers back, hi, welcome and guess what, it’s so easy for me to get hooked up in something… and not only that but I had the inside scoop of the episodes, straight from one of the producers and what I learned later the writer of my favorite episode ever… it was nice… I learned everything about the show, I mean, you have to if you want to understand what people are talking about… Do you remember that scene in Solitude, it’s my side arm, I swear or that moment in Divide and Conquer were he turned back, I was OMG, I know nothing! Here I was thinking I was a big fan and I soooooo knew nothing! So in order to get thru somebody’s post I had to use the episode guide to check what episode it was, people knew all the names by heart, they knew every moment, they would analyze and over analyze moments… and no way that I was behind… so I had to take it one more level, I mean, if you are going to be an online fan, you HAVE to step up… so I bought all the 8 previous seasons of Stargate, I could not be behind… And watched episodes after episodes after episodes... I also learned about conventions… I mean, there are so many things we people don’t know… I remember somebody posting some pictures of a convention, I thought, WOW, I can’t believe they met the actors, that must be so cool… but again far away from me, I mean, I would never fly to go to a convention, I wouldn’t go that far… that is until I found out that there was a convention happening 1 ½ hrs from home, so why not, at the last minute I decided to buy my ticket, it was such an experience, I met with Marian, a great, great, great lady and a pro on all conventions, she started going since she was basically a teenager and again, a great lady, she was wonderful to meet and not only that, one of the actors, the bad guy, ended up sitting at my table in the bar, we started talking, we talked until 3am!!! About Football, nobody would have thought…

With time I met every great person that I had befriended on the thread, amazing people and so much fun to be with. It’s funny how you can make great friends with people that are so far away from you, but I can tell you, when I got robbed in Spain and had to stay there for a month, if it wasn’t for Flo, Marion and Dom who helped me to keep sane, I would have gone crazy, I don’t think they know how much they helped me and made me laugh when I was having a bad day… And let me tell you how crazy things can be… Flo mentioned something on another thread and somebody, who did not know me, offered helped from her best friend who was in Paris and working for the government I don’t remember were… so Flo, from France gets a message from Patricia in Argentina offering the help of her friend in Paris for a girl from Venezuela stuck in France and I had never, ever, met these people… it was nice… and Su, yes, I know you were to busy being pregnant with your 6 child and that you were thinking of me…

I do not go online anymore… things get to crazy and people become to passionate, for me it’s a TV show, that I love of course, but just a TV show, I like spoilers, I love to know things, but more than know things I like to know the why, the thought process behind. I don’t take it personally and I don't want to write the show.... so I stopped and to be honest, I had met most of the people that I wanted to meet and I didn’t need a forum to keep in touch with them and one of the main reasons that had me coming to this website did not exist anymore, Joe had retired from the internet... for the moment, he now has his own personal blog.

Joseph Mallozzi is one of the most interesting guys there is, I was so WOWed by the fact that an Executive Producer, would take the time to go into this crazy world and answer questions… every time I would ask something he would answer, I thought it was just so great… again people imagine, this is like George Lucas having his website answering questions about the Star Wars Films and stories and you know how I get when I like things, getting this inside view of the making of a show was just ice cream with hot fudge for me...

I sent him a private message once, just saying how touched I was that he was taking his time for this, he answered back, if I liked him before, now I was a fan… he gained my respect... I did send a couple of other private messages in the forum and he always answered, I really appreciated it, I don't know why I was so touched, or why was I crazy enough to send him messages... I guess that you have this idea in your head of what the world of show business is and here was a guy just showing that at the end, of course, he was as normal people as you and me and we tend to forget that, he just happened to have a job working for a TV show, he is famous because we have made him famous, but at the same time he is not.
He is just another fan more of what he likes, so he knows what it means to be a fan and that’s what I like about him. He is fascinating, like basically most of my friends of course :-) and as I've mentioned before, I love things that fascinate me... Oh! he is passionate about Food, TV and Chocolates, what is not to like about him?
If I’m ever in Vancouver I would love to meet him, give him a call?, he does seem very approachable, although I don't know if he is scared of freaky fans... I mean, how do you know the difference? is everybody that is tagged as fan, freaky? it's a mystery... but what would be a delight is to go out and eat with him, he is a food connoisseur... so maybe ask him out for dinner?… or maybe breakfast?, he did mention something about some poached eggs with duck confit that just has my mouth still watering… or maybe I won't call him, what if he says no? or Carolaina who? no, Joe, Caroleeena.... I wonder if he would know who I am... I better send an email first. Oh and I forgot, he is also a ninja in training, he does takes his passions very seriously, so be careful if you ever meet him and if I ever do meet him, I might write, I had a great breakfast with the Ninja, you will know what I'm talking about.
Well, despite of what you may think, I don't go this crazy about many things, I did go all the way for Harry Potter and Stargate and it's nice when you get so much into something, that is modern time, in the past there was Menudo, Soccer, better shut up... so my next passion? I don't know, I'm still thinking about it... my curiosity has been picked by Chocolate, not the Twix, Carbury Eggs or the Kit Kat type... but the high end 70% Dark Chocolate, specially when I learned that some of the bests come from Venezuela... I need an initation package... I wonder where to start... maybe I can ask advice to Joe, I'll make sure to start signing my name as Caroleeeena ;-)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear girl: Finally a tribute to Stargate, another of your obsesion, I told you so!, I knew it maybe because, as you said I remember when you made me watch it one christmas when you came to visit us..... of course you didn`t make a fanatic.........but you havent mentioned how you created a litle monster fanatic of the show, a 5 years old (your nephew (Diego).... He love you so much ,and is always so happy when you go to Houston to visit him, but since you show him the first show of Stargate, and you started talking about it in the way that the persons who read your blog knows how you express yourself... that was the almost the end to go to the movies, shopping o whatever aunt and nephew did to spend time together almost....
"Now, Diego said, OHH! Carol is coming !awesome!!! and start to telling his mom: ! "I am going to watch Stargate with Carol" !!!!! " Carol what show you brougth this time", lets watch over and over until both of you knows every scene, every word of it..... Oh My God ! Carol, when are you going to take ne to meet the actors who plays at the show because he thinks that you and them are nail and dirt ( how we said over here) HA! HA! HA!
"Kisses girl"
Anonymous said…
Getting to know you and a couple of other friends is the best experience I'll ever remember of my jump in the Stargate fandom :)

As for meeting/talking to the actors and/or the writers (hi Joe!), I know what you mean. When I went to my very first convention, it's what struck me the most: to see that these people you see every week on your tv, are normal and very friendly people (at least, the ones I met).
Anonymous said…
Has Joe read your blog? you say very nice things about him. I'm sure he will appreciate it, it's always nice to hear nice things about us.

M
Nora said…
Hi Carolina - I have not responded much but I just want to let you know I do read and enjoy your blog.

N
Anonymous said…
OMG !! The nanny and Mister Sheffield !!!!! That's one of my favorite show ever !! LMAO I just loved it and admired the inside jokes a lot ! those writers were just like the stargate ones, they don't take themselves too seriously and can write humor like nobody else...great great memories :) just like I'll always have great memories of stargate which also turned me into an internet fan girl :s damn what this "cutie from macgyver" can do ;)
I'm glad it made me meet great friends that en enjoy talking with on the phone and meeting whenever I can :)
HUGS

Popular posts from this blog

The Me Roll...

Taking out the trash....

Finding Freedom